Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Top Ten Tuesday - Unread Books on Shirley's Shelf!

15 Nov 2011

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish!
This is my first time participating; it sounds like a lot of fun!

This week's topic: Top Ten Books That Have Been On My Shelf For The Longest But I've Never Read

Anne of green gables by L.M Montgomery
So, I remember buying this many years ago from BORDERS (gosh, I miss it so much!) since it was only $5. But I never read it; it’s been sitting on my shelf and collecting dust :S I guess I felt like reading like back when I bought it but then lost interest.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I bought this with those primary school Scholastic book packs (for only $2!). I read the first few pages and gave up! But I was young back and I couldn’t be bothered reading it (the language was so hard to understand!); even now, I still can’t finish Austen’s books. I nearly died reading Emma for school at the start of this year!

Eragon by Christopher Paolini
I bought this with a book voucher I received from school as part of an award I guess. Never got around to finishing it though. I remember how back then it had like the Twilight fame, but unfortunately, I couldn’t get past the first few chapters.

Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke
The third in the Inkheart series. (translated from GERMAN) I loved this back when I was in primary school! I was so excited when the third & last book came out, and immediately bought the hardcover. Too bad, I forgot what happened at the end of the second book and couldn’t be bothered re-reading it, so this has been sitting on my bookshelf untouched and unread.

Forever by Maggie Stiefvator
I won an ARC of this a while ago; but I haven’t read Shiver and Linger yet. Don’t know if I want to though. I know for a fact that Maggie is an amazing writer, but somehow the premise of Shiver  sounds too clichéd & I think of Twilight for some reason…

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien
Haha, am I the only one in the world who hasn’t read this? My dad bought me the version where all three books were combined in one book, and it’s like 1000+ pages thick! I just can’t get through it….

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Yes, I seem to have a problem with classic books. There’s nothing wrong with them, but I just find modern YA more interesting & easier to read. But, I’ll read this one day. Definitely.

Chasers by James Phelan
Hmmm…I was surprised this turned up on my doorstep. Too bad, I haven’t had the chance to read it, and apparently the third book is out already? Might have to read this one day…but only after I finish all my other books!

Pig Boy by J.C Burke
Another book that I just can’t dedicate any time to…it’s another TBR book but only after I’ve finished all the ones I WANT to read, and have absolutely nothing else to read.

Atonement by Ian McEwan
Err…I really should read this sometime! Unfortuantely, I couldn’t be bothered to finish this after reading the first 3? chapters…but I WILL finish this ONE DAY. Sometime in the near future hopefully…


7 comments:

  1. Please give Shiver a chance; it is not like Twilight, at all. And if nothing else, it's a beautifully written story (as all Maggie's stories are).

    Austen is an acquired taste, but I have to admit I loved Pride and Prejudice!

    LOTR is a series I wish I hadn't read; it was too long, too descriptive and I only pushed through because I figured it would redeem itself eventually.

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick with P&P it's a lot of fun! Also *hint* the movie with Keira Knightly is exactly like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many interesting books on your shelf. I read Forever recently and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Raining books7 September 2012 at 18:55

    Oh my, I have read so many of these. I would even read them again.

    Here's My Post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some excellent ones there! Anne of Green Gables is lovely; Pride and Prejudice is wonderful; Inkdeath is marvellous; and Little Women is rather good too. :)
    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have The Lord of the Rings on my shelf too! (although not in my post) I totally forgot about that. I bought all of them on tapes when I was younger, but I never got past thirty minutes. It just didn't compare to the lovely narration from the Harry Potter tapes. My Top Ten :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely read Shiver, the love story is really sweet and it's not very Twilighty! Anne of Green Gables is a great story and P&P is definitely one that should be read as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day