Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Book Review: Fateful by Claudia Gray

8 Nov 2011

Title: Fateful
Author: Claudia Gray
Publisher: HarperCollins Aus. 
Release Date: September 13th 2011
Source: Bought/Won
Format: Paperback

The RMS Titanic might be the most luxurious ship in the world, but all passenger Tess Davies wants to do is escape her dreary existence as a maid.
Trapped in a web of painful memories and twisted family secrets, Tess vows to make a run for it as soon as the ship reaches New York. A new world awaits... and a new life!
Her single-minded obsession shatters when she meets Alec. Handsome and mysterious, he captivates her immediately - but Alec has secrets of his own. As she uncovers the darkness lurking beneath his sophisticated surface, Tess discovers a horrifying truth. Werewolves, once only the stuff of nightmares, are real - and they are stalking Alec. Tess's love for Alec puts her in mortal peril, but an even greater danger lies in front of her before their journey on the Titanic is over...

My Thoughts:

I wrote this (or at least part of it) at midnight on the plane to Sydney, after devouring the entire book whilst everyone else was sleeping around me. I couldn’t sleep, I was restless, and all I could think about was Fateful. Fateful had consumed my mind, my thoughts and the story replayed intermittently like a movie inside my head. I’ve always been fascinated by the Titanic, although I have to admit this fascination only started after I watched the movie, and it was what initially drew me to Fateful.

I don’t know about you, but whilst reading Fateful, I could not help but compare it to the marvellous award-winning 1997 movie Titanic, which I might add is without a doubt my favourite movie. With every page, I was constantly thinking of a similar scene from. I mean, they weren’t all that different: star-crossed lovers who, under normal circumstances would never have set eyes on each other, somehow fatefully meet and fall in love, only to be met with a doomed fate. But comparing Fateful to Titanic was not all that bad; since I loved Titanic, it also meant I was in love with Fateful.

The romance.Alex. Tessa.The delicious, yet heart-breaking romance. It was the sort of romance that was so real , so heart-warming yet heart-breaking and I loved it. There was also a part of me thinking about how falling in love within a mere week just seemed...too fast. But then I had to remind myself, we’re talking about true love and the Titanic. Under normal circumstances I would probably roll my eyes and the scream in annoyance, but there was a certain realness about their romance that captured my heart and won my full support. Alex and Tess were consistently fighting on the verge of life and death for each other, and as a bonus, this took place on the Titanic. (Yes, I’m contradicting myself, but that’s just how my brain works!)

Oh, how can I forget? Werewolves.The whole concept of werewolves and the Brotherhood intent on recruiting- or should I say stalking Alex was all extremely interesting. I’ve never been much of a werewolf girl (blame the vampires for stealing all my attention!), but I thought the Brotherhood was described and explained reasonably well in one novel alone.

This may not appeal to everyone, but definitely try it if you are, like me, extremely interested in the Titanic. I’m actually still debating whether I would have preferred an alternative ending since the twist at the end was so unpredictable, but it felt both good and bad. 

Overall, this was a beautifully crafted historical romance, with a paranormal twist. If you like a novel that can evoke a strong emotional response from the reader, then this is perfect for you! Highly recommeded to everyone!

5 comments:

  1. [img]http://tvforme.ru/uploads/posts/2012-03/thumbs/1330712221_season1.jpg[/img][img]http://tvforme.ru/uploads/posts/2012-02/thumbs/1328950296_detka.jpg[/img]

    Добро пожаловать в наш онлайн кинотеатр, который содержит большую коллекцию сериалов. На нашем сайте Вы можете смотреть сериалы онлайн бесплатно, смотреть мультсериалы онлайн, смотреть лучшие сериалы онлайн без регистрации, все новинки киносериалов 2012 года. Сериалы онлайн, возможность перестать скачивать большие сериалы, состоящие из нескольких сезонов, в хорошем качестве, которые весят очень много, и начать смотреть сериалы онлайн у себя на компьютере. Вам больше не нужно ждать загрузки сериала, на TVFORME.Ru Вы можете смотреть сериалы онлайн без ожидания.

    Последние поступления: 30 Rock, 30 Потрясений, Bones, Californication, Desperate Housewives, Dexter, Entourage, Friends, Fringe, House M.D., How I Met Your Mother, Ideal, Lost, Scrubs, Sex and the City, Supernatural, The Wire, Two and a Half Men, Блудливая Калифорния, Грань, Два с половиной человека, Декстер, Доктор Хаус, Друзья, Звездный Путь: Вояджер, Идеал, Как я встретил вашу маму, Калифрения, Клиника, Кости, Красавцы, Остаться в живых, Отчаянные домохозяйки, Прослушка, Сверхъестественное, Секс в большом городе, Сплетница, Студия 30, Теория Большого Взрыва, Универ

    [url=http://tvforme.ru/serials/eng/47-californication-1-sezon.html]блудливая калифорния 4[/url]

    [url=http://tvforme.ru/serials/eng/366-terminator-bitva-za-buduschee-2-sezon.html]терминатор битва за будущее камерон[/url]

    [url=http://tvforme.ru/tags/Два с половиной человека/]два с половиной человека 3[/url]

    [url=http://tvforme.ru/tags/Bones/]bones 3[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7uEK_7NHvhQ/T1llT2umanI/AAAAAAAAMbk/PxDK0v6UUhc/s400/Forsaken+World++071a7d7.jpg[/img]

    6 марта русская версия многопользовательской ролевой игры Forsaken World получила 3-ий бесплатный сервер игры под названием "Корвус". Новый сервер распахнул двери и готов принять множество новичков. Теперь у каждого игрока появился шанс начать все сначала и стать сильнейшим геймером мира Эйра.

    Подробнее на [url=http://www.world-mmo.com]www.world-mmo.com[/url]

    [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NYWjBP7aY7c/T1fzlcV59RI/AAAAAAAAMaE/2UU-S1QfJEs/s400/Pandora+Saga+4.1920x1080.jpg[/img]

    В связи с таким событием компания Altus Online дает возможность в период запуска игры всем игрокам играющим через Steam в игру Pandora Saga получить разные подарки.

    Забрать свои подарки игроки смогут с 1 по 13 марта до 10:00 по тихоокеанскому времени.

    Подробнее на [url=http://www.world-mmo.com]www.world-mmo.com[/url]

    как скинуть опыт на танк wot

    шутер о второй мировой войне онлайн

    как набрать много очков опыта в игре world of tanks

    можно ли вытащить камни из сокетов

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The movie is what got me so fascinated by this tragedy too.... okay, YES, when the movie first came out I was all raging hormones over Leo (he still looks dreamy when I rewatch!), but I always used to use every opportunity to research Titanic for school projects, etc. I'm so happy you enjoyed this and the romance susprised me too, because insta-love is usually so eye-rolling but I thought it was done very realistically here. Fantastic review!

    Okay, so weird. I'm was watching The Office in Ch. 11 while reading this and they just quoted Titanic. Freaky haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love a book with a realistic and loveable romance! I def. have to read this one I love anything about the Titanic! Excellent review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day