Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Review: Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

25 Jan 2013

Spark
by Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher: Kensington (US) / Allen & Unwin (AU)
Release Date: August 28th, 2012 (US) / October 2012 (AU)
Format: Paperback, 345pages

EARTH. FIRE. AIR. WATER. 

 He could feel flames coming through the floor, looking for him. Sparks and ash rained down. He wasn't going to make it. He was going to fail. Again. Then a hand closed over his wrist and pulled, hard. 

 Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally. Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. So when an arsonist wreaks havoc on his town all the signs point to Gabriel. 

 Layne is strangely drawn to him. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.

 Gabriel can’t let Layne know that the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking. 

 THE FUSE IS LIT…


Sexy, exciting and thrilling, Spark is even better than Storm! I'll admit; when I read Storm, Gabriel was never my favourite Merrick brother- it was a toss up between Nick and Chris, but after reading the awesomeness that is Spark, I think Gabriel may be favourite Merrick brother now :)

 To everyone who first meets Gabriel, he'll come across as a douche. Admittedly hot, but certainly acts like a jerk to everyone. But deep down, Gabriel's still a boy; he craves what all humans crave for, whether it be love, closeness, friendship,he craves them all. Yet, the side he displays to the public is merely a mask to disguise his pain deep inside. It was so much easier to understand him, and the reasons behind his actions while reading Spark! I guarantee you'll begin to see Gabriel in a new light regardless of whether you liked him to start off or not :)

Laney, the love interest in this book is a character I liked from the very beginning. Upon first glance, they seem to be from different worlds; he, the hot, popular sport star who receives more attention than is needed, and she, a quiet, straight-A student who goes by unnoticed everyday, Yet, once you peel off the barriers, there's more in common between the two than anyone would've imagined. I absolutely loved the deep and meaningful romance that blossomed between the two! It felt so real, and so heart-warming every time a scene featuring these two came up, I was all giddy inside!! Seriously LOVE THESE TWO!!!

While I was certainly enamoured with the main characters, I have to admit the secondary characters weren't exactly likeable. It's probably because the majority of the time everyone else kept thinking Gabriel is such a jerk and that he purposely ruins everyone's life. No one bothered to even attempt to understand him, which really frustrated me. Becca and Quinn were two characters who really annoyed me. I liked Becca in Storm and I thought Quinn was a considerate and dependable friend to Becca, but in this installment? I wanted to strangle those two. IS IT SO HARD TO GIVE GABRIEL A BREAK? He doesn't deserve to be on the receiving end of your mood swings and rage! Oh, and honestly, I have no idea what Nick is doing going out with Quinn. He can do so much better!

I liked Storm. But, I absolutely LOVED Spark! There are so many heart-warming moments when Gabriel reveals his true self, and so some heart-stoppingly steamy scenes you do not want to miss! I mean, it's GABRIEL. You all have to read his book!<3

7 comments:

  1. Yup, I really disliked Gabriel in storm, he was such an aggressive, sexist idiot! So I have put off reading this, but so many readers, like you, say he improves! I'll have to read it and find out :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH SHIRLEY!!!! I so adored this book too:) I definitely agree with you, I wanted so badly to shake a couple of the secondary characters and ask them CAN'T YOU SEE WHAT ALL THAT BRAVADO IS HIDING? LOOK CLOSER! I loved Layne too, she was such a great fit for him. And her little brother? I wanted to hug him. SUCH A GOOD BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley I have to agree with everything you said, Gabriel didn't even hit my radar when I was reading Storm, but with this book he just blew me away! And the scenes between him and Layne were just so much hotter, after finishing this Gabriel was the only guy on my mind, I couldn't even remember the names of the other Merrick brother! Fab review Shirley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, you definitely do see Gabriel in a new light here! I liked him in the first book, but never really in quite the same way as now. I also connected a lot better with him than Chris, which is probably why I enjoyed Spark just a fraction more than Storm. :) Great review, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book SO much! I agree, it was even better than Storm! and i loved Gabriel even more in this book! I def cannot wait to get my hands on the second book! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the greatest
    blogs online. I'm going to recommend this website!
    My web page - neucopia review

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, I'm so glad you loved it! Book two is even BETTER. :D

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day