Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Mini Reviews: Storm & I Made Lattes for a Love God

23 Jan 2013


Storm
by Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher: Kensington (US) / Allen & Unwin (AU)
Release Date: April 24th, 2012
Format: Paperback, 353pages

Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death. 

 And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca. 

 Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all. 

 The storm is coming


The Merrick Brothers are hot. I remember thinking when I finished reading this book a while back, that after meeting the Merrick Brothers, you’ll be sure to forget ALL your previous YA boy crushes! Nick and Chris were my favourites in this installment (hmm…I may have changed after reading Spark!) but honestly, ALL 4 brothers, and even Hunter were swoon-worthy J

Love Triangles (and insta-love) are the bane of my existence. Usually anyway. However, the love triangle in Storm was tolerable; even though it seemed to play a significant role in the story, I didn’t mind it at all.

Our main character Becca was likable, but unfortunately I didn’t love her character. She’s strong, stubborn and brave…traits that I usually admire in a heroine, but Becca didn’t stand out. The thing is, I would forget about her character after reading Storm. I guess she's just not…memorable.

Brigid Kemmerer is a genius and I love her for creating these four sexy brothers! I’m positive I’ll be reading every book Brigid writes J
A massive thank you to Allen & Unwin for providing a copy of Storm for review!



I Made Lattes For A Love God
by Wendy Harmer
Publisher: Allen & Unwin 
Release Date: November, 2012
Format: Paperback, 272 pages

 Elly Pickering has a juicy secret. A secret her PR mum won't let her tell anyone because if the kids at Oldcastle High knew that mega-star Jake Blake (yes, THE Jake Blake, teen sensation and all round heart-throb) was coming to Oldcastle to film his latest movie, they might just explode with excitement.

 Elly is determined to get on set and to get more than a glimpse of her Hollywood crush. But now thanks to an unfortunate incident involving a car, a red handbag and the paparazzi, it looks like Elly's lost a lot more than her opportunity to be close to Hollywood royalty. She's lost her dignity, her job and her best friend. How will she ever be able to get everything back to normal?


This has got to be one of the cutest, lightest and funniest books I’ve read in a long time!

The characters were honestly extremely immature, but I didn’t care half the time because 1) I vaguely remember myself thinking like them back when I was their age and 2) the layers of drama cause by these girls weren’t annoying in the I’m-going-to-pull-out-my-hair-and-scream kind; it was just amusing. They acted like the teenage girls they are and what they did were understandable. It was also hilarious reading about all the girls screaming, gossiping and fangirling over their latest celebrity crush! It reminded me of all the Beliebers and…well…some One Direction fans at my high school. (And no, I wasn’t one of them) The high-pitched shrieking of excitement and doing everything possible to see their idol in person felt familiar, and I couldn’t help but grin and support Elly and her friend’s wishes!

I Made Lattes for a Love God is a relaxing read; a book you can devour in one sitting after a tiring day at work or after finishing copious amounts of homework. (I read this in between studying for my exams!) It’s an easy read, so don’t think too much when you read this, just enjoy it! J


A massive thank you to Allen & Unwin for providing a copy of I Made Lattes for a Love God for review!

11 comments:

  1. "...after meeting the Merrick Brothers, you’ll be sure to forget ALL your previous YA boy crushes!" <---- this. A BAZILLION TIMES THIS. One sexy boy in a book is hot enough, but four?! And Hunter?! *dies* Gabriel is definitely my favourite, with Hunter following close behind after Spark and his novella! But in saying that, choosing a favourite is still HARD.

    I read a little of I Made Lattes, but couldn't get into it. Maybe I should have stuck it out, because it sounds like such a fun book! Even if it was over the top, it sounds entertainly so :D

    Awesome reviews, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a super fan of Storm (like everyone else) but I wasn't a super fan of I Made Lattes . . . it had this cute vibe but it wasn't the type of book I would usually read nor love too much. Still, great mini reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of the Elemental series... I know *facepalms* there are so many brilliantly hyped series that I haven't read and this is just what I need now. A deep romance that you can definitely swoon over a million times more. And if you say they are wayyy better than YA boys then, well, you know where I'm heading! :)

    I Made Lattes, I haven't read or seen before, but I sounds like a definite fun read especially when I go through exams! Lovely reviews Shirley.

    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY FOR THE MERRICK BROTHERS SHIRLEY!!! <3 <3 I liked Storm, but I LOVED SPARK, so I'll be interested to see what you think of Gabriel. He's a little bit damaged, and I'm such a sucker for the damaged ones. Plus, I loved Layne, she was such a good match for Gabriel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read a book by Brigid Kemmerer (I know, I know, I'm an awful person!) and I really want to. I've heard so many great things about the gorgeous Merrick Brothers! And I'm a massive fan of potential book boyfriends, so I need to finally meet these 4 brothers. I'm also glad the Love Triangle didn't really bother you, and certainly didn't bring down your rating.

    I have never heard of I Made Lattes For a Love God (what a unique, interesting title!) but I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It sounds like a fun, light hearted book that I'd spend a rainy weekend reading.

    Thanks for sharing your brilliant mini-reviews, Shirley! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. STORM!! I LOVED that book, and loved the sequel even more! I do understand what you mean about Becca though (I can't remember anything distinctive about her now, despite liking her at the time), but the four (five, if we include Hunter!) boys more than made up for it. I am SOOO excited for the release of the third book. :)

    I haven't heard of I Made Lattes For A Love God before, but I love the title for it! I'm glad you had fun reading it. Sometimes immature characters can be pretty entertaining. ;) Awesome reviews, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loathe love-triangles and insta-love too, but I've heard such fabulous things about Storm and those smoking hot Merrick brothers! It's on my to-read list and I can't wait to read it. :) And haha, I'm not a One Direction fan but I Made Lattes For A Love God sounds like the perfect warm-fuzzies (and I LOVE the title). Incredible mini-reviews, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't a fan of Storm but I Made Lattes For A Love God really sounds like a cute read, Shirley! I don't mind young, immature characters when they're also realistic and if it suits their age, too - good point!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG. LISA. THE BOOKS :O :O :O I LOVE the aU cover of Through the Ever Night (though I still haven't seen it PERSON) and the cover of Rise is SO PRETTY :O And I'm VERY interested to see what you think of of Disharmony #2 given the lukewarm reviews of #2.

    And and and... OMG. OPAL. EEEEEEEEEEE! HAVE YOU READ IT ALREADY?!

    And... I seriously never considered reading I Made Lattes For A Love God until now... it sounds FUN ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Storm! With four hot boys and an action packed plot, what's not to like? Glad to see you enjoyed it too. I guess Becca wasn't the most memorable of heroines but she was likable enough.

    IMLFALG sounds really cute! Sometimes you need a book that you don't have to give much thought to. Sounds like this was perfect reading considering you were taking exams at the time, Shirley. Fab reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Storm sounds awesome! I am SO curious to know how hot those brothers are! I should probably bump it up my to be read pile :) Great reviews :)
    new follower!

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day