Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Book Review: Slide by Jill Hathaway

29 Mar 2012

Title: Slide
Author: Jill Hathaway 
Publisher: Harper Collins Australia/Balzar + Bray
Release Date: March 27th 2012 (US)/March 1st (AU)
Format: Paperback 
Source: Publisher for review (Thank you!)


Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

An original debut with a fascinating premise. Hathaway's debut Slide will woo readers with its gripping murder mystery plot line. While truthfully, I didn't find it entirely mind-blowing, I'm sure fans of mystery books will love this.

Slide tells the story of Sylvia, 'Vee', who can literally 'slide' into people. She'll be able to see everything from the perspective of the person she slides into,and may, occasionally 'control' them. The whole 'sliding' into another person was executed extremely well, and it was definitely interesting reading about how she feels being 'inside' someone else's body.

Here's the part where I'm a little picky with; this was certainly a good mystery, but it's by no means a mind-bending and thrilling mystery. I'll admit that I didn't guess the ending, but you know the whole 'the most probable is the least probable' tactic you use to guess who the murderer is?( or maybe that's just me since I read & watch too much crime!) Anyway...it was pretty obvious who WASN'T the murderer, so...by process of elimination, it was easy to guess who was involved. But I was really curious about the reason for the string of murders, so that certainly managed to maintain my interest.

The characters were....written well but not necessarily memorable. My feelings towards Vee was more like 'Yep, she's a fine character, I don't mind her.'But there was nothing about her character that distinguished her from all the other YA heroines. And truthfully, I found Zach a 2D character. His role seemed insignificant and his characterization was just...bland. Rollins, Vee's best friend, was probably the only character that interested me. I just wish his relationship with Vee was explored a little better (I mean, they're supposed to be BEST FRIENDS, except I couldn't feel that 'best friend vibe' from them.)

And lastly, I wish the ending had a little more OOMPH. It had the potential to have such a profound impact on me ( since I recently read a book that had a similar ending and that was the deciding factor between a good and AMAZING book), but everything happened a little too fast and it just wasn't effective enough.

The review might sound extremely critical, but i really did enjoy it. It just wasn't enough to fully WOW me. Give this a try though! I know some people who absolutely ADORED this, and you might too!

13 comments:

  1. hi all shiirleyysbookshelf.blogspot.com blogger discovered your site via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://xrumerservice.org they claim they managed to get close to 1000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) They offer best backlink service Take care. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirley,
    I have read review after review on this title this week and they are all over the map. I appreciate your analysis. Sounds like it has a fascinating premise but needs a bit more polish. I am still on the fence on this one. I am glad that overall you liked it, so I will probably give it a go when I get a chance. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a few reviews that described similar feelings about this book but I still want to read it, it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you here - I enjoyed this but it didn't particularly blow me away either. The main problem I had was with Vee's character. The rest I thought was really good but it could have been much better. Great review, Shirley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. S~H~I~R~L~E~Y!! That's the perfect way to put the mystery for this book -- I couldn't guess the killer at all either LOL, although I have to admit that I was back and forth about questioning the obvious guy! I kept thinking, "What if Jill Hathaway is making the killer the obvious choice because she thinks we think she knows that we won't think it's the obvious choice and she wants to throw us off? Or what ISN'T??" If you get what I mean haha! x)

    I want to HUG your review, Shirley! <3 A little critical or not, it's still AMAZING and honest even though this book didn't completely blow you away! Maybe the next one will? :D *hopeful face*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naughty Brodie is more mature than to giggle at "who can literally slide into people' so obviously, I DID NOT GIGGLE...... Ahem.

    Anyway, the sliding thing is really fascinating, not to mention kinda creepy! Especially when in the mind of a murderer *shudder* Disappointing that I'm often hearing it's just... not as GREAT as it could be. It sounds like there's potential, but the story is just not living up to it. Curious to see if the sequel steps up the game from 'okay' to 'AWESOME'... fingers crossed! Fantastic review, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lalaine @Ficbookreviews7 September 2012 at 19:09

    sorry that it didnt blow you away, but atlesast you enjoyed it! Hmm I might actually skip this book for awhile, but will see. Amazing review Shirley! your review doesnt sound critical for me but honest. loved it<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review chick! I felt the same about this one, it was a fun book but nothing too epic. I loved the characters psychology more than the actual mystery. Like Vee's relationship with her family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. really uncertain if i'm going to read slide
    gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  10. SHIRLEY!!! AAAA..I haven't been commenting your blog lately. SO SORRY! School is so busy but I finally had my last test today and it's holiday!

    Anyway, LOVE YOUR REVIEW! I really enjoyed Slide although like you, it didn't wow me! It's still interesting and mysterious. I love Vee's pink hair! I actually fell for Zane but never thought he was more than just Zane and I never was intrigued by Rollins but I'm liking him by the end of the book. Can't wait for the second book to come out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been hearing mixed review of this one. I don't know if i'll pick this one up soon but i'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I reviewed Slide last week, like you I gave it a 3 rating. It was a fun read but I just couldn't suspend belief to be really blown away by the ending

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, Shirley, I'm sorry you didn't love LOVE this one. It is saaaad. But I'm glad you LIKED it... you know, I think this is one of those books I read at the exact right time and place... and I just loved it. But at the same time, I can see, and even agree with, the validity of all your negative points... the mystery? How you described it? I LOVE it. Like... the least probably is the most probable? LOVE it <3

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day