Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Book Review: Blood Song by Rhiannon Hart

6 Aug 2011

Title: Blood Song
Series: Lharmell #1
Author: Rhiannon Hart
Publisher: Random House Aus.
Release Date: September 1st, 2011
Source: Publisher for review
Goodreads Synopsis: 
I wanted to turn but I was held captive by the song on the wind. I’m coming, I told the voices. Please, wait for me.

When her sister becomes betrothed to a prince in a northern nation, Zeraphina’s only consolations are that her loyal animal companions are by her side – and that her burning hunger to travel north is finally being sated.

Already her black hair and pale eyes mark her out as different, but now Zeraphina must be even more careful to keep her secret safe. Craving blood is not considered normal behaviour for anyone, let alone a princess. So when the king’s advisor, Rodden, seems to know more about her condition than she does, Zeraphina is determined to find out more.

Zeraphina must be willing to sacrifice everything if she’s to uncover the truth – but what if the truth is beyond her worst nightmares?



My Thoughts: 

Let’s start with the cover. It’s absolutely, eerily stunning! As soon as I laid eyes on the cover, I knew I just had to read it! But truthfully, I was still a bit scared as to whether this was another ‘misleading cover’.( A beautiful cover, but a not-so-great book)


I needn’t have worried. This book enthralled me from the very first word, and I couldn’t stop reading even if I wanted to. It was like a magnetic pull, urging me to continue reading and finish the entire book at once! Us Aussies are in for a HUGE treat. This is definitely one of the best fantasy novels by a debut author!

I’m guessing that after reading the blurb, many of you are probably rolling your eyes and thinking “Geez, not another clichéd vampire novel with a romantic twist”. (That’s actually exactly what my friends did when they read the blurb.) BUT this book is the complete opposite. There are no sparkly vampires and drop-dead gorgeous paranormal creatures falling in love with the main girl. It’s completely original, from the setting, to the storyline and the characters; everything about it is imaginative and unique.

Zeraphina has been feeling an undeniable pull towards the north, as if someone or something is calling for her. Chance arises when her sister, Lilith receives a marriage proposal from the Prince of Pergamia, an invitation which will enable Zeraphina to embark on a journey to the north, where she may find the hidden answers to her cravings for blood. Little does she know that what lies north is more shocking and terrifying than she could ever have imagined. The plotline was both imaginative and unique. The story never wavered from the main plotline and there was this whole mystery that kept me wanting more!

I really liked the main character, Zeraphina. She was strong, determined and never backed down without a fight. Even though she was constantly aching inside, she never gave in. She endured all the pain and suffering herself, which I think is exceptionally brave and definitely an admirable trait! Zeraphina also faced her fears head on, and not once did she shy away from her true identity. I also particularly liked Rodden! I must say, I have a soft spot for mysterious and brooding men! The interactions between Zeraphina and Rodden were definitely worth reading. I loved how they were constantly bantering, throwing insults at each other yet neither could really stay away from the other. The chemistry between Zeraphina and Rodden was undeniable, and I loved how the romance between the two gradually developed. The relationship between the two never overrode the main plotline, and it was a nice complement to the main storyline.

I was able to easily adapt to Hart’s writing style. The story was brilliantly written and easy to read. The words just flowed naturally from the pages and I was immersed in the story from start to finish! The ending was also satisfying. It wasn’t rushed, which was a great relief, but the ending certainly left me wanting more! (What’s going to happen between Zerphina and Rodden?!?!)

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. It was probably one of the most creative and unique fantasy books I’ve read this year! I never would have thought this was Rhiannon Hart’s debut novel, the way it was written and told. I was as much drawn to the excellent storyline, beautiful world and the impressive characters as Zepherina was, to the north. This is a highly recommened book for everyone who likes an imaginative and refreshing read! I personally can’t wait for the next installment! 

Rating: 4.5 stars! - It was AMAZING and definitely get yourself a copy when it comes out!

Favourite Quotes: 
"I thought you'd like to keep an eye on me", he murmured in my ear, as if we were conspirators

Because deep down, we're the same.....

"He of the arrows and the watchful eyes", he murmured.


**A huge thank you to Dorothy from Random House Aus. for providing me with a copy of this amazing book for review!


1 comment:

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day