Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Book Review: The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa

27 Jul 2011


The Iron Fey series: 
- The Iron King
-The Iron Daughter
- The Iron Queen 
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen

I decided to write a combined review of the first three books in the Iron Fey series, before I post my review of The Iron Knight. Oh and be warned, this MAY contain spoilers so if you haven’t read the series, then you might want to skip this review, although I’ll try to keep it non-spoilery. But, if you haven’t read it yet, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

The Iron Fey series has been one of my favourite books of all time! Not only because of Ash, who I might add is by far my favourite YA bachelor, but also because of Kagawa’s amazing writing style and the captivating world she has created. All three books were outstanding; each book just kept getting better, even outshining its predecessor.

The Iron King was the first faery book I’ve ever read, so to me, it was original and unique. I have read a lot of reviews stating that there are a lot of similarities between The Iron King and other faerie books - Summer Court, Winter Court, A Midsummer Night’s dream references. I only realised it when I started reading other books that featured faeries, and I was like ‘Hey, that’s what I read in The Iron King!’ So now, when everyone’s comparing The Iron King to other faerie books, I’m sitting here comparing every book out there to this! But I suppose it’s also a bad thing that this was the first faery book i read, because now I have high expectations for every upcoming/already released faerie books!

Meghan was an admirable heroine throughout the series! She was brave, selfless and extremely stubborn. She was willing to make a contract with the enemy,(which I interpret as sacrificing herself) to save her brother! Now that’s what I call admirable! She has definitely earned my respect! Although I must admit her character in the first half of The Iron Daughter really annoyed me. She became really whiny and all ‘Does he love me...does he not?’ But then again, I guess she had the right to think that under the circumstances...nevertheless, I thought she could’ve guarded her feelings better. Then, in the third book, The Iron Queen, she became even stronger and more praiseworthy! She was willing to hunt down the Iron King and save the whole faerie realm despite the fact that her Iron and summer powers were literally going to kill her! Now, that is courage! I loved how Meghan’s character developed throughout the series; from an insecure, vulnerable girl to a selfless, courageous and devoted QUEEN!

Oh, and how can I forget the other characters? ASH! PUCK! & GRIMALKIN! Each had their own unique traits and I loved them all for different reasons! Ash, because he’s well...Ash; Puck the prankster – I don’t think anyone would not like him! And GRIM, without you the others would never have survived their journey! I don’t think there is a character in the series that I didn’t care about. Every character mentioned played a role and without these characters, the book just would not work!

There’s so much I can write about the series, I can probably write a whole novel full of praises but I think I’ll stop here . To sum up, this is an absolutely amazing series! Definitely recommend it to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day