Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Review: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire

20 Mar 2013


by Jamie McGuire 
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Australia / Atria Books 
Release Date: April 2nd, 2013
Format: ARC

Walking Disaster is Travis' POV. 

How much is too much to love? 

 Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

 In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. Just when he thought he was invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees. 

 Every story has two sides. In Jamie McGuire's New York Times bestseller Beautiful Disaster Abby had her say. Now it's time to see the story through Travis's eyes.

I remember last year, in the midst of my HSC year, I became addicted to a certain book. I couldn’t concentrate for a whole two days at school because I couldn’t stop thinking about this particular book. I think I also suffered a book hangover upon finishing; it was just so addictive! That particular book was Beautiful Disaster, one of my favourite books of 2012. I was ecstatic when I received a copy of Walking Disaster, one of my most anticipated books of 2013, for review. While Walking Disaster certainly met my expectations for the most part, I have to admit it did lack the addictive quality that I loved about Beautiful Disaster, but it was still immensely enjoyable nonetheless J

Walking Disaster is pretty much Beautiful Disaster from Travis’s POV. I loved Travis’s voice; it was so distinct and authentic, I really didn’t want the book to end! There are some extra scenes that truly confirmed Travi’s undying love and devotion to Abby…and even though he’s impulsive, violent with a serious need of anger management, I loved how throughout the whole book, he was constantly trying to rein in his anger for Abby’s sake.

It’s fantastic I got to see everything through Travis’s eyes, but at times, when he was devastated or terrified, I couldn’t exactly feel the same way because I knew what would happen. I knew how everything would end and it prevented me from really empathizing with the characters. It’s such a pity especially since I did love the rare scenes when Travis expressed his emotions so strongly. There was also the problem with Abby; I found her to be an independent and capable  heroine in Beautiful Disaster and I never found any of her decisions to be overly annoying even if I didn’t agree with them. However, through Travis’s POV, I felt his pain, his anger, his confusion and I hated Abby for being such a b*tch to Travis. She was selfish and either completely dense or just irritatingly ignorant to her surroundings. Either way, I wanted to throttle her and kick Parker into the next universe!!

My review might sound like I didn’t like the book, but I genuinely loved it. It’s just Beautiful Disaster was so perfect that when I compare any other book, I can only find faults… I honestly think Ms McGuire is a very talented author; I mean, not every female author can make a male character sound so realistic and likeable despite having so many unfavourable flaws. All you Beautiful Disaster fans MUST read this book! You won’t be disappointed! 


A massive thank you to Simon & Schuster for providing an ARC of Walking Disaster for review!

7 comments:

  1. I wasn't a big fan of the first book. Mostly because I didn't approve of the whole relationship thing between Travis and Abby - it wasn't healthy for me. But I 'might' give this book a shot to see if Travis does anything for me this time round . . . so we'll see. Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed the book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange to me that this is the exact same story only from Travis's point of view, I would think that would cause the exact problem you mentioned - you know what's going to happen. Still, that being said, I remember reading the first half of Midnight Sun (Twilight from Edward's POV) and was absolutely riveted despite the fact it's the same story, so I can definitely understand the appeal of simply experiencing everything from Travis's perspective:) Glad you enjoyed it Shirley, I really need to read these books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wasn't huge on the first book but I 100% agree with how addicting it was! And this --> "irritatingly ignorant to her surroundings" SO TRUE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have just got accepted for my request of this book, though I haven't yet read the Beautiful Disaster yet! Though I have to say, I'm intrigued with all the hype of this book! The cover looks very interesting ;) Lovely Review, Shirley! Seems like forever since I last commented on your blog! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if I were engaged enough, I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what would happen next. I have to admit, I'm curious about Travis's POV, even though I didn't particularly love Beautiful Disaster. And although it was quite to the level of BD for you, I'm glad you still enjoyed it! Great review, Shirley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be honest: I was pretty sure I'd never read Beautiful Disaster, it just doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but seeing the same events from two different perspectives is oddly intriguing. It's always interesting to see someone you think you know through someone else's eyes.
    I'm glad you had fun reading this.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that you enjoyed Walking Disaster Shirley, I was really unsure about giving Beautiful Disaster even though I've had a copy sitting on my kindle for ages! But a book which leaves you with a book hangover are normally the best kind, so I think I will still end up giving the first book a try one day! Lovely review Shirley! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day