Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Author Interview: Katie McGarry

11 Aug 2012


Today, I have the pleasure of bringing you an interview with my one of my favourite authors - Katie McGarrg! I’m sure you’ve all heard of Katie’s debut, Pushing The Limits – one of the hottest and most talked about YA debuts this year! I read Pushing the Limits a while ago, and absolutely LOVED it; You can read my review here.  I may not be the biggest fan of contemporary books, but Pushing the Limits has managed to become my favourite book of this year (so far, anyway.) Without further ado, here’s the interview:
Q. I’m sure most of us, who’ve read Pushing the Limits would agree that the book is far from your average girl-falls-for-bad-boy book. But for those who haven’t read it, can you tell us why everyone should read Pushing the Limits   this year?

Mostly I think someone should read Pushing the Limits because it is a story about attraction, love, friendships, family, death, grief, and most of all, it is a story of hope. 

Q. What was the most difficult part about writing Pushing the Limits? What was the easiest?

There’s a scene towards the end of the book where Echo and Noah are confronting each other after a whirlwind of awful events. There are so many emotions happening simultaneously between these two characters and it was difficult to wrap fear and frustration and love and hope all into one little scene.

I enjoyed writing the chemistry between Echo and Noah. Their attraction sparked off the page and I loved writing their witty banter. 

Q. Many confronting issues are dealt with in the book; how did you go about writing it? Did you have to do a lot of research? 
Yes, I did have to research issues within the book and I researched by reading articles and by talking to people who have had involvement with the subject matter whether professionally or personally.

Q. All the characters, Noah and Echo especially, are such complex and in-depth characters. Was it difficult writing about them? Are they based on anyone you know?

It could be difficult when writing them. When I write, I “become” my characters. Their highs are my highs. Their hurts become my hurts. I cried several times while writing Pushing the Limits, but I also laughed quite a bit too. 

No, my characters are not based on anyone I know. If anything, I gave each character a piece of myself. For instance, I gave Echo a memory loss (I repressed the memory of being bitten by a dog in second grade).

Q.  How does it feel to have your first book published (and receiving such fabulous reviews I might add!:D) 

Amazing! I recently celebrated my US release by signing at a local bookstore. It was truly a fantastic moment to stand up in front of my friends and family to talk about my book and to thank them for their support. 

Q. Beth was definitely one of my favourite characters and I can’t wait to read her story. Can you tell us anything about your upcoming book, Dare You To?

In DARE YOU TO you can expect romance, old wounds resurfacing, humor, action, and a lot of kissing. DARE YOU TO is scheduled to be released sometime in 2013. 

Quick Questions:

Good Boy or Bad Boy? A combination of both
Favourite movie? Casablanca
Favourite book? The Outsiders
Favourite YA couple? Bella and Edward
Ultimate YA crush? Isaiah from PTL (sorry, can’t help it)
Guilty Pleasure? Reality television

Katie McGarry
August 2012
Harlequin Teen

Find Katie on: 



A massive thank you to Katie for her time! And also to Morey Media for the chance to interview Katie!
So, what did you think of the interview? :) I, and I'm sure many others cried several times throughout the book. Seriously, I cannot recommend this enough - you must read this if you haven't already!


10 comments:

  1. SHIIIIRLEY! I love love LOVE it! Wonderful questions, and oh my goodness, I can't wait to read DARE YOU TO! HOW SHE DESCRIBES IT! SQUEEEEEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian7 September 2012 at 18:43

    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME interview! I just finished Pushing the Limits and it was....indescribable! So nice to read this author interview *o* Katie McGarry is so amazing >_< Thanks for sharing this, Shirley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sighs* I STILL need to read Pushing the Limits!!!! It sounds SO awesome. Thanks for sharing. Lovely interview! Katie McGarry is wonderful!!! I think my favourite YA couple would be....hmmm...that is a tough question! But yes Edward and Bella are totally awesome!!!!

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when an author gets so emotionally invested while writing.... well, I mean, of COURSE they're emotionally invested, but I love hearing they cried or laughed right along with the reader :D Awesome interview, ladies! I'm eager to see all the action and kissing and kissing Beth's story brings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this author interview, Shirley! Pushing the Limits is definitely one of my favourite contemporary reads this year and love the questions and answers in this post!

    Awww, I didn't know Katie's favourite book is The Outsiders. I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH TOO! And hahaha, it's sweet that Katie's favourite YA couple is Edward and Bella although mine's probably Noah and Echo ;)

    Anyway, awesome author interview, Shirley! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, Shirley! I'm sure the follow up book is going to be popular!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeee!!!! PUSHING THE LIMITS!!!!! Noah <333

    I agree that's it's so much more than a typical book - it was simply amazing! And the spark and witty banter between Echo and Noah was so fun to read so I'm glad to hear it was the easiest to write! And I love how Katie 'became' the characters - it's like us readers falling for the characters and feeling their highs and lows. It must be an amazing feeling to know so many people loved your first ever published book and I can't wait for Dare to You. Lots of kissing? Gimme ;)

    Fab interview, Katie and Shirley <333

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam @ Realm of Fiction7 September 2012 at 18:43

    A lot of kissing in DARE TO YOU? That has my attention! ;) Thanks for the lovely interview, Shirley and Katie. It's interesting to hear how Katie 'becomes' each character when she's writing them. No wonder they all felt so wonderfully real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. TautochroneQuillon7 September 2012 at 18:43

    http://goo.gl/mHkLJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. AHHHHHH! I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH SHIRLEY! And what a fun interview, I'm absolutely dying for Beth's book and am quite encouraged by the mention of lots of kissing :) I can only imagine what going to a book signing would be like as an author, what an amazing feeling. Katie McGarry is now an auto-buy author for me!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day